PKS Architects successfully undertook a major refurbishment and extension to provide a speculative headquarters office development. The scheme includes 60,000sqft of open-plan net office space and was completed for a contract value of £7.25m. The key features of the project include a 15m atrium and a new-build penthouse level.
The Daimler Building is a Listed Art Deco Building, originally constructed in 1931 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners of Hoover Building Fame to house the headquarters of the Daimler Hire Car Company. During its use as the headquarters for their car fleet it is fabled to have became the inspiration for the Fisher Price garage toy, in recent years however, it had become generally dilapidated and was being used by taxi and coach companies.
From the outset PKS Architects have worked closely with English Heritage to rejuvenate the building, and create a contemporary office environment within the early 20th Century white concrete shell. The rejuvenation of this significant piece of 20th Century architecture has enhanced the area and encourages the protection and restoration of rare and classic Art Deco buildings. The new prestigious office space has also raised the commercial profile of the area without disturbing the streetscape.